Blog Archives

A Trans* Doll’s Journey!

I had to share a recent project by an artist whose work I really enjoy.  It’s not their usual medium, however they were inspired by a find at the family cottage and so set to work.  She is refinishing a dollhouse originally built by her Grandfather and played with by her mother, and is sharing the progress on her Deviant Art account.  Why do I feel the need to share this?  Well, the most recent addition to her tiny home is a Transgender doll that began it’s existence as female, but has transitioned to male…  right down to the binder (worn a little low, but still poignant).

I’d like to introduce you to this bibliophile of a doll, who is yet unnamed, but seems quite happy in his new life:

Trans* doll by Ullakko

You can check out more of Ulla Thynell’s work at DA, where her username is ullakko.  Here is a direct link to her journal, where she first introduced us to our unnamed friend and shared a little about his transition:  http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d595iqi  And while he was not created with the intent of any kind of deeper meaning, I believe there is some truth to be found in how his physical self had to be ground down to find his final and true form.

The upcycled cardboard dollhouse, fit for polly pocket sized princesses.

The last two mornings the girlie and I have been working on a craft project.  I see a sturdy, unused, cardboard box and all I see are possibilities.  🙂  So, this time, we made a three level dollhouse for all of her little princesses and polly pocket dolls.

The first day I found a box with a flap I could cut off to create the second floor.  Folded the ends under and trimmed a bit off, while the girlie painted wall paper and designed flooring.  We also washed out some juice boxes and set them out to dry.

Today we glued in all the flooring and wallpaper.  Wrapped up the beds, and cut out headboards and foot-boards….  glued them all together and glued the beds into place.  We made a table from a fruit cup container and a round piece of paper.  The girlie cut out plates and glued paper food onto each plate, which were glued onto the table (which was also glued into place).  A couple finishing touches – like the construction paper pool filled with tissue paper water.  And it was complete.

All in all, a pretty easy little project that I know Lily-Ann will enjoy playing with for quite a while.  Who knows how long it will last…  but hey!  It was made entirely from repurposed trash and paper,  so however long it lasts is good by me.  🙂

Here are some pictures of her new dollhouse:

first floor diningroom, second floor bedroom

three beds and a rug/bed for the cat

rooftop pool and "grass" covered patio

 

%d bloggers like this: