Going through iCal today, figuring out what I need to do next, I’ll admit to getting teary when I realized there is nothing relating to Camp fYrefly on the horizon. I’ve been so focused on camp the last six months, it’s an odd feeling seeing NOTHING on iCal in purple (purple is the colour I chose for all things Camp fYrefly related, I’m big on colour-coding it’s the only way to keep organized).
I truly feel that everything I’d done in my life, somehow lead up to my position as camp coordinator.
- My work with youth, and winning the “youth for youth” award in high school.
- Personal experiences and interactions throughout high school, university, and beyond.
- All of my equal rights activism
- My life in politics
- The experiences I’ve had running a political party
- The time I’ve spent in front of the camera at media events
- My time behind the camera, appreciating the inherent beauty in all people
- The negative and positive experiences of owning my own business(es)
- The fact that I’m so crafty/artsy
- My being so “sex positive” and open to talking about pretty much anything
- All of the years I’ve spent studying and teaching operant conditioning
- Even becoming a mom
All of it, it all led to the moments at camp. Those vital, amazing, life changing, life AFFIRMING moments. And now, looking at my calendar, knowing that it’s over… well… I’d admit to there being an immense sense of loss. Sure, I still have lots of work before camp stuff will actually be done with. Lots of little detail things, invoices, bills, receipts, paperwork, reports, etc. And I still have all of my amazing, incredible, stupendous campers – none of whom I intend to lose track of, and all whom I hope will be up for the occasional get-together/reunion. But there is still a part of me mourning, seeing nothing actually scheduled in. Nothing purple on my calendar. It’s a feeling I didn’t expect, but there it is, just the same.
I feel lonely.